Thursday 28 April 2011

Rediscovering Streatfield and Markless

Rediscovering Streatfield and Markless and their work on evaluation, best value and impact of library services.
A few years ago I went on a training course run by David Streatfield and Sharon Markless on evaluating library initiatives. The course was great and gave me ideas about looking at measuring impact when something new was introduced - you identified your objective and related performance criteria and took before and after measures. I'm over simplifying, but I thinks this was the main thust. I remember being frustrated because most of what I wanted to evaluate was already happening - it was too late for a "before" measurement. I haven't heard much about these researchers since, even though they had a very high profile for a while. Yesterday I came across their site Information Management Associates which has two large sections on Best Value and Impact and Research Methods. These appear to have been last updated in 2000, but at first glance seem very relevant to the work we are doing
now on measuring and evaluating impact. Most of their research refers to Public and School Libraries, but I'm sure academic libraries can make use of this work too.
All I need to do now is to find time to "read, mark, learn and inwardly digest!" I'll post again when I've got some ideas on putting some of this into action.


Picture credit: #SaveLibraries by Phil Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment